Monday, April 18th, 2016 by Danny Peterson
Noticed an Increase in Your Electricity Bill?
Here’s an Action Plan to Reduce It
Did you notice an increase in your electricity bill lately? Do you think that the increase is quite unreasonable as you’re still well within your normal usage habits? If you do, it’s probably time to take a closer look at your home’s electrical work. If you haven’t been using seasonal items, your increase in consumption is most likely due to the faulty, leaking or inefficiently installed cables, light fixtures, outlets and switches.
Reducing your electricity consumption is actually not that challenging. You only need to focus on two main aspects – streamlining your home electrical system and controlling your usage.
Streamlining Your Home Electrical System
Whether your home is old or newly-built, it might help to ensure that the electrical work is efficiently installed. You might like to consider these action plans to get started:
- Repair your old electrical systems. Contact professional electrical repairs experts nearest you to fix whatever inefficiencies in your cables and wiring. It might also help to call pros who can handle both installation and upgrade to speed up the work.
- Schedule regular electrical maintenance and checkup. Schedule a regular maintenance with the nearest domestic electricians to delay the signs of wear and tear for your appliances and other electrical network. This would allow you to spot electrical issues and possible threats before these go out of control.
- Setup a home automation system. Make your lighting fixtures, appliances and other features turn on or off only at specific times of the day. This will help lower your overall consumption.
- Use the right choice of appliances. Look for the green energy-efficient sign when shopping for lighting fixtures, home entertainment set and other appliances. Then call a domestic electrician to install these efficiently for you.
Controlling Your Electricity Usage
Streamlining your home’s electrical work is merely half of the process of reducing your utility bills. You should also learn how to use energy wisely. To that end, these tips might be of help:
- Use your curtains wisely. Before you adjust your AC’s temperature, lower the blinds and close the curtains on bright sunny days. This can greatly help regulate direct sunlight and keep the room cooler.
- Turn off and unplug. There are some appliances that still consume standby power even if they’re already turned off. The best practice would be to unplug electronics when they’re not in use.
- Setup different switches for different areas and rooms of the house. This will allow you to switch on your appliances in one area of the house without powering up all the other areas.
Electricity consumption can really eat up a huge chunk of your family budget. Remember, it would cost you more to settle down with substandard electrical supplies and subpar electrical work. If you like to save up some cash, following the action plan above can help you reduce these unnecessary expenses.