Wednesday, August 20th, 2014 by Danny Peterson
Periodically evaluating the roof on your Riva home for signs of damage can help to identify problems before they become more serious. This can allow you to get the necessary repairs made and maintain the integrity of your roof. You can perform a basic roof inspection yourself or hire a professional company to complete it. The professionals at Integrity Home Pro recommend inspecting your roof at least once a year and more frequently when there are serious weather events.
The following are some things to look for during an inspection:
- Loose or curling shingles: This can indicate that the shingles are not securely fastened or have been damaged by the elements. Without proper coverage and seal, they may allow moisture to enter through the roof.
- Ponding water: If you notice water pooling in certain locations on your roof, this may be a sign that the pitch is not correct, or water is not being effectively guided to gutters. Ponding water can weaken roofing materials.
- Broken shingles: Much like loose or curling shingles, you should also be alert to missing or damaged shingles. These need to be replaced to provide adequate protection to the home.
- Damaged flashing: Flashing prevents leaks from occurring around joints, valleys, chimneys, vents, skylights, and other structures on the roof. If the flashing is bent or damaged, it can allow water to seep under the roofing and into the home. Check to make sure that seals are not broken or missing as well.
- Granular residue from shingles: Asphalt shingles can deteriorate over time and start to crumble. Look for small granules in the gutters or on the ground around your Riva home. This can be an indicator that they need to be replaced because they are worn.
- Water leakage: Inspect for lingering wet spots on the roof as well as signs of water leakage in the attic. This could be a sign that it is time to replace the roof or repair flashings and shingles.
These are a few of the main elements of a roof inspection that can identify potential problems. You can evaluate your roof by using a pair of binoculars, carefully climbing a ladder, or hiring professionals. With proper care and maintenance your roof can last for years to come. For a safe and thorough roof inspection that addresses architectural and ventilation issues as well as recommended repairs for your Riva home, contact Integrity Home Pro. Photo credit: DenverPost.com